WALKING THE SOUTHERN SIX... WITH MY MOM!





All great ideas have to start somewhere. 

This one began Friday night at Poor Richards when Heather threw it out there that my mother and I should walk the Southern Six.

"Hey, that's a great idea!" I said in return.

After some careful consideration, my mom [Kathy] agreed that she would do it too!

Why didn't I think of this before... oh yeah, because Heather is way smarter than me! Which makes me a pretty smart man when you begin to think about it!  I had originally hoped to have the privilege of putting medals around some of my friends necks at the finish line. My mom would meet me over there before the Incredible and Most Gorgeous Half Marathon 2 Hour Pacer, Heather Gardiner came through the finish line! :)

This idea seemed much better!

My mom, Kathy Wronka is seventy years old. While she is pretty active in her local gym and does quite a bit of walking on the treadmill, she has never participated in an organized event before and she has never earned a finisher's medal.

Later on we devised our logistics plan for Sunday morning.
Saturday we went to the expo and got registered!

Race Day Morning.

Heather and I left the house around 5:50 am to meet Andy, The International Ultra Marathon Runner at the Manteo High School parking lot. He met us at the intersection and we headed to the Outer Banks Half Marathon Start. Once we got there, I hung out for a few minutes. It was cold outside and the car offered some warm shelter until they had to get out.

10 Minutes later I was on the road back to Manteo to pick up my mom. The Southern Six did not start until 8:45 so we had plenty of time. It was only about 7 am. I made some breakfast and just talked until it was time to go.

My Mom with her Bib on for the Southern Six



We left around 8 for the Outlet Mall, approximately 6 miles from the finish line of both the Outer Banks half and the full marathons. Parking at wings across the street, we walked across the bypass with the help of some of Nags Heads finest stopping the traffic for us and others.

We were positioned just north of the Southern Six start after crossing the street. there were a lot of crowd support here, so we just kind of joined in and cheered on the Half Marathoners, now coming through. 

I expected Heather's group to be coming by soon.

When they arrived, they had a nice size group with them and I shot a little vid as they came by! They were right on schedule for a two hour finish.





Shortly after that, my good buddy Sherry came by, She was pacing the 2:15 or 2:30 group.. I cannot remember.... #chemobrain ;) Sherry and Roy, her partner in crime, or at least in the pacing group stopped to take a selfie with me!

From Left: Me (Shane), Roy and Sherry

I love these two and in fact, Sherry's husband Angelo was pacing with Heather. We love that guy too!! :)

At this point we were waiting for the start. The weather was nice, the sun was out and it was a perfect day for a run or a walk! I snapped off some more pics as we waited for 8:45 to arrive.

Hanging out at the SS6 start. Fro Left: Me, Nitsia, Her husband Ian, Ron and my mom


Pete coming by with only 6 miles to go!

Jay and Robin running by and looking great!


Bam!! It was time to roll or "BST" as I like to say!
Booty Shakin' Time!!

We started walking and for me, this was just about participating in an event with my mom. It was time to talk and spend some time with each other. My mom has been a very important person in my life and of course I love her to death. Besides Heather, she has been my other biggest supporter. Taking me to UNC Chapel Hill twice for surgeries, staying with me after my first one for a couple weeks, I couldn't have made it through without her. She's just a loving a caring person in general and anyone who knows her, knows that is true.




The miles clicked by at a 15 minute pace and some change. Mom was pushing hard and doing well. Street walking is a little different from treadmill walking. She was doing great.

We finally made it to the bridge. She started running a little bit. It was awesome!

Approaching the bridge

Beautiful View from the bridge

Making it to the top!







The top of the bridge would mean we were only a 5k (3.10 M) away from the finish. Off the bridge and down the Manteo Causeway and around the bend into Manteo we walked. 

We were almost there!



Cheers! WE are almost there!!

Making the final push to the finish I had said that she was going to get her very first finishers medal. She thought she didn't get one because she was walking. No! I told her. Everyone gets one. Doesn't matter how you got there. As long as you cross. You're getting a medal today!!

As we made the final turn around the been to the finish we first saw Ed and Amy Montgomery cheering us on. A second later we saw Heather and our friend Michelle clapping and raising their fists in victory for us. 

The smiles were big!

We crossed the finish line and put that medal around my moms neck!

Displaying our SS6 Medals


We celebrated my mom's first (and maybe only) participation in her first organized race event along with her first medal at the age of seventy!! What a great job!! I was so proud.

We grabbed a beer from the beer garden and visited with many friends at the after-party!

Fun Times with Friends!


Fireball anyone?

Our Boy Afro K from Strava!!

Finding Michelle (Far Right) Heather in the middle.

It was the perfect day for a walk. The perfect day to not only see my mom do something she's never done before, but to participate with her in it! It was the perfect to hangout after and share some laughs with old friends and new friends alike.

It was a perfect day!


Poor Richard's Friday Night! The Decision Had Been Made!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My OBX Full... And She Ran How Many Marathons?

Yeti 100! Our first 100 Miler

I Can't Run! (Road to Boston) Part 1