My Review of the Beachbody Ultimate Reset

My Review of the Beachbody Ultimate Reset


I sat down with my wife to watch the overview video to a program she had just purchased that cleanses your system while detoxifying it over a 21 day period. My initial thought process was that I would support her in the endeavor by eating the same food as her, while on the program. Well, I was very inspired by the video and since I had been heading in the same direction of food choices that the program was designed around, I thought, what the hell! So my wife ordered up one more complete program for me and we were going to do this together!

The program is designed around specific food groups over three, seven day phases and a set of supplements that are taken throughout each of the 21 days, which also changes slightly in each phase.

Before I go on, I should tell you that I had to give up coffee (yup, I just lost half the readers here), ice cream, alcohol, all sweets such as candy, chocolate, etc, flavored beverages such as iced tea, soft drinks, juice and we only consumed distilled water for the entire 21 days (with the exception of an occasional herbal tea)

We also could not run or exercise as the calorie base of this diet did not support the caloric burn of these activities. We did walk on occasion to keep the blood flowing!

The first phase is the "Reclaim" phase! For these seven days we focused on gradually removing animal products and refined foods from our diet while adding lots of veggies! Our first dinner was Baked Salmon (recipe below), 1 cup Steamed Asparagus and one half cup Baby Potatoes. Which we both really enjoyed!

By the end of day 1 and all of day 2 I was now suffering from caffeine withdrawal causing not-so-comfortable headaches. and I had learned fairly quickly that we had just embarked on a program that was going to be keeping us in the kitchen most of the day, it seemed, not to mention one heck of a burden of dishes to wash since all the meals are made from scratch with many ingredients!

During this first phase we were introduced to four of the six supplements we would be taking throughout the program. Alkalanize, Oxygenize, Mineralize and Optimize. Each one contributing to strengthening, balancing and priming of our cells to begin releasing the harmful toxins our bodies hold and accumulate over time.

In week two, our second phase, we continued to refine our diet, now completely off the animal proteins and dairy, eating 100% vegetarian meals, and let me just say.. "delicious!" The recipes in the nutrition guide are amazing and we decided very quickly that the nutrition guide would be a cookbook we would continue to use after the program was completed. On day seven we had an awesome dinner: Edamame and Roasted Corn Succotash (recipe below), one we would make again, for sure!

During this phase we added the Detox supplement to help restore optimum health to the gastrointestinal tract while detoxifying our bodies through improved..well, let's just say regular trips to the bathroom! They say during this phase it's pretty normal to all get emotional about things, or dropping negative habits, etc. 

My wife did experience a little of this during this phase, but on day seven we were ready to move into the third and final phase of the program.

Phase three is about the restoration of your body and I have to reflect about where I am thus far. We had stepped way out of comfort zones and we are now thinking about food much differently. Food is fuel. Food is the relationship between us and our bodies. It's single component to our lives that will shape what we look like and how we feel. We had eaten some really cool new foods like "Wakame Seaweed" and "Swiss Chard", I finally ate beets, a food I have avoided my entire life after seeing it as a young boy shaken out of a can onto a plate at Thanksgiving time... oh wait, that's cranberry sauce.. but still the image I have always seen when the subject of beets are brought up. Well, the raw beet, roasted with some other root vegetables, olive oil and Himalayan salt was actually pretty good! Fruit has never tasted sweeter and I have this new love for watermelon that I cannot quite put into words! "Tempeh" which is fermented soybean, is easy on the digestive system and has a nutty, crunchy texture. My wife's new fave! 

During this final phase, after eating just fruits, vegetables, nuts and grains, the program focuses more on just the fruits and vegetables and introduced us to the final supplement, Revitalize, which restores healthy bacteria to our freshly "scrubbed" digestive tract! 

This last week was bitter-sweet and the last days seemed to drag on. As much as I like the experience I kind of wanted to be let free to choose for myself what I wanted to eat and drink and most importantly get back to running! Although ironic, my wife and I both have decided to stay away from meat and dairy and stay with a more plant based protein diet. Raw, whole foods give the body the efficient energy it needs and is much easier on the digestive system. I personally will also partake in shellfish and salmon which is something that I now know I can eat without any allergic reaction.

The program costs about $12 per day plus the cost of food for the 21 days. You get a shopping list for each phase so it makes shopping easier and the idea is to get all the items you need in the beginning of each phase so that you do not have to make multiple trip to the grocery store.

Tip: If two people in a household are doing this program, doubling the shopping list is not necessary. The items listed on the list are easily sufficient for two people. You will have to double the recipes though.

Final note: I have done the fitness programs that Beachbody puts out and I find this nutritional program from them to be of the same quality. There are few changes I would suggest they make having gone through the program but they are mostly just cosmetic changes to the book itself and maybe some other side notes and tips Other than that this has been a great experience and I would recommend it.

To find out more about this program go to: http://www.ultimatereset.com/ 



Baked Salmon

Baked Salmon
Ingredients
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil
  • ¼ tsp. Himalayan salt
  • ½ tsp. herbal seasoning
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 6-oz. salmon fillet

Directions
In a medium glass bowl, prepare marinade by mixing garlic, oil, basil, salt, seasoning, lemon juice, and parsley. Place salmon in a medium glass baking dish and cover with marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator about 1 hour, turning occasionally.
Preheat oven to 350° F. Place fillet in aluminum foil, cover with marinade, and seal. Return sealed salmon to dish and bake 20 minutes, or until easily flaked with a fork. Serves 1.

Nutrition
  • 370 calories
  • 22 g fat
  • 3.5 g saturated fat
  • 105 mg cholesterol
  • 260 mg sodium
  • 3 g carbohydrate
  • 0 g fiber
  • 39 g protein
  • 1,020 mg potassium




Edamame and Roasted Corn Succotash

Edamame and Roasted Corn Succotash
Ingredients
  • ¾ cup frozen edamame
  • ½ cup frozen corn, cooked and drained
  • ½ shallot, diced
  • ½ red bell pepper, diced
  • ¼ red onion, diced
  • 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
  • 2 Tbsp. fresh cilantro
  • Himalayan salt and herbal seasoning (to taste)

Directions
Preheat oven to 400° F and arrange corn in single layer on baking sheet. Roast for 10 minutes, or until caramelized and beginning to brown but not harden. Remove and let cool. Meanwhile, bring water to a boil and cook edamame for 5 to 7 minutes. Drain and set aside. Sauté onion, shallot, and bell pepper in olive oil for 10 minutes or until soft.
Add corn and edamame to onion mixture; cook on medium for 5 minutes. Add vinegar and remove from heat. Stir in lime juice, cilantro, salt, and seasoning. Serves 1.

Nutrition
  • 190 calories
  • 15 g fat
  • 2.5 g saturated fat
  • 0 mg cholesterol
  • 770 mg sodium
  • 14 g carbohydrate
  • 6 g fiber
  • 5 g protein
  • 732 mg potassium

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My OBX Full... And She Ran How Many Marathons?

Yeti 100! Our first 100 Miler

WALKING THE SOUTHERN SIX... WITH MY MOM!